“We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” – Mother Teresa
One of the goals of this blog is to help parents and caregivers enrich their own lives and those of their children through service to others. We’ve already featured Better World Books, a social enterprise that offers great deals and supports wonderful causes. This post introduces Room to Read, one of Better World’s five primary nonprofit literacy partners.
According to their website, Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in the developing world by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. “Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls have the skills and support needed to complete their secondary education.”
- Since 2000 Room to Read has supported over four million children by providing better access to education.
- Room to Read has built 1,128 schools and established 10,000 bilingual libraries.
- Room to Read has published 433 original local language children’s books, in 22 languages, representing more than 4.1 million books.
- To date, Room to Read has distributed over 7.4 million children’s books that include original Room to Read titles, donated English-language books and local language books.
- In 2009, Room to Read established a library every 4 hours, distributed an average of 3 books a minute, constructed one school every day, and provided over 1.7 million school days to girls who would never have had the opportunity to receive an education.
- Learn more at www.roomtoread.org.
If you and your children want to help Room to Read, simply donate books FREE through Better World Books. Use a local library drop-off, if available, or take advantage of Better World’s offer to provide free shipping. Other options include volunteering in Room to Read’s San Francisco Global Office or organizing a book drive in your area. Click here for more information about volunteering with Room to Read.
Note: we are not part of BetterWorldBooks.com’s affiliate program, and we are not paid if you choose to order from their site.
© Liesl K. Bohan | TipsnTidbits.com